Marketing & Product
Senior Strategist, Brand & Collaboration
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
About us: iconic brand, tiny company
Polaroid was founded in 1937 by one of the most seminal innovators of the 20th century, Edwin Land. His motto was, “don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible.” In 2008, Polaroid shuttered its last factory but a group of diehard fans came together as The Impossible Project to save instant film. Over 10 years later that startup acquired what was left of Polaroid and today we’re again a small group of people passionate about empowering creators to change the world in the name of Polaroid.
What we're building: tools for creators
Throughout its 80-year history, Polaroid was at its best when we made tools for people to express themselves, push boundaries and move culture forward. In the next decade, we are getting back to this purpose. We're not solving small problems, and we're not addressing a small market; our goal is to make products that will make the world more meaningful and human.
Your role: shape one of the most iconic brands on the planet
Few brands on earth can do what we do, the way we do it; we have creative culture and iconic design in our DNA and we are looking for a brand strategist to be the go-to person for all things about our heritage and our future, what is happening in culture across the globe, and what matters in our consumers’ minds.
Objectives of the role:
- You’ll lead and own our brand collaborations and partnership strategy and think about where the brand needs to be in 5 years and then get us there
- You’ll serve as a brand evangelist for Polaroid, both external and sometimes to internal stakeholders
- Your deep knowledge of fashion, tech, culture and brand collaborations space will help push us forward into new unconventional and surprising places
- You’ll keep the team updated on the existing and emerging consumer and cultural trends
- You’ll come to the job armed with an address book full of useful contacts that would love to work with us
- You’ll partner with Insights & Analytics team to turn data and insights into actionable optimization opportunities
- You’ll participate in creative & marketing reviews to ensure brand guidelines are adhered to and we reach the consumer with relevance and significance
The ideal candidate
- Intuitions for Great Partnerships: You have 8+ years’ experience working for a culturally relevant brand today and you have a sense for what it means to have a point of view in this world and how to partner to get that viewpoint across
- Empathy: You care deeply about how customers think. You can accurately predict how changes will make them feel. You love creating joy
- Arts & Culture interests: You’ve worked with artists or creators before and you enjoy artistic pursuits and have avenues for creative expressions
- Insanely Good Written and Visual Communication: You are concise, thorough, and know how to facilitate decisions internally. You care about design language and enjoy writing to express your ideas
- Entrepreneurial Ambition: You’d love to start a company one day or to undertake a project that is important and nearly impossible. A lack of formal structure excites you. You want to roll up your sleeves in an exceedingly small team that can scale one day
- Appreciation for Quality: You get very enthusiastic about certain brands and can articulate why they’re incredible. You are excited about rebuilding an iconic brand
- Domain Knowledge: You have strong opinions — well informed but loosely held — on arts, culture, modern brands, and consumer trends
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Amsterdam HQ (Houthavens). You will be reporting directly to the Vice President of Product & Brand and working closely with the whole Marketing team as also peers from other departments.
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV and letter of motivation and/or any other relevant information to support your application to Polaroid’s Recruitment (email@example.com).
Applications must be accompanied by a personalised letter of motivation or they will not be considered.