Hardware Product Development
Polaroid is dedicated to analog instant photography in the original, iconic format. We are a spirited, quickly growing international team that’s passionate about instant photography and all related accessories. We are reframing the way people create, connect, and share memories. Company values and behaviors are: The Human, Focus, The Impossible, Honesty, Emotion & Innovation. Come join us!
This role collaborates with Industrial Design, Product Management, other Product Development teams and external engineering partners to develop analogue hardware product features that achieve cost, schedule, reliability, regulatory and safety goals. The ability to use Pro/E and analysis tools to create reliable mechanical designs for volume mass production is required. Additional responsibilities for this position include new hardware platform or technology surveys, evaluation and development.
Objectives of the role:
- Ensure your mechanical designs meet the highest quality standards, while driving continuous improvement for the product, according to product requirements and specifications;
- Ensure your cross functional team is able to validate feasibility studies, create prototypes and prove their suitability. Then work together to scale that prototype for production;
- Execute hardware mechanical design validation testing and debug for production samples, speaking up to ensure the cross functional team know all possible risks and opportunities;
- Deliver your solutions on time, on budget and on quality to the cross functional product team;
- Undertake relevant research and present solutions to stakeholders in Taiwan and Amsterdam;
- Create engineering specifications for analog hardware products and coordinate development work on mechanical subsystems;
- Develop instant analogue camera systems and subsystems during the product development;
- Measure the performance of mechanical components and devices;
- Launch the development and qualification of plastic tooling, including their design debugging;
- Work closely with our contract manufacturing partners and key component vendors to ensure assembly/test fixtures are safe, reliable and efficient;
- Testing, evaluating, modifying and re-testing products;
- Resolve ME issues/challenges;
- Create and manage ECN/ECRs for updates and improvements to existing products;
- Writing reports and documentation, presenting your work to cross functional teams;
- Proactive collaboration with adjacent development teams to ensure design success, including product marketing, industrial design, program management and manufacturing;
The ideal candidate
- Mechanical Engineering bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic background;
- 5 years of experience in mechanical design, ideally image and consumer electronics products;
- Passion for photography and interest in how analogue camera systems work;
- Technical acumen – good understanding of key technology areas i.e. precision mechanical, optomechanical, gearing system;
- Passion for team working, and project delivery – ability to collaborate in a cross-functional, multi-geography setup;
- Good knowledge of plastic, tooling, injection molding, assembly process, cosmetic finishes, and defect analysis;
- Good knowledge in metal punch tool structure and design is a plus;
- Good Pro/E and AutoCAD skills;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Knowledge of quality tools such as DFMEA, DFMA, and Tolerance analysis;
- Prototyping skills – create validation test plan in design and product development phases;
- Analytical – ability to pin-point, troubleshoot and solve performance problems on camera optical and sub systems;
- Inquisitive – Consumer empathy, with an avid interest in instant film camera products.
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Taipei office. You will be reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Team Leader, working closely with the Product Design and other Product Development teams.
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV and letter of motivation with any other relevant information to Alain Hon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications must be accompanied by a personalised letter of motivation or they will not be considered.