Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Polaroid was founded in 1937 by one of the most seminal innovators of the 20th century, Edwin Land. His motto was, “don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible.” In 2008, Polaroid shuttered its last factory, but a group of diehard fans came together as The Impossible Project to save instant film. Over 10 years later that start-up acquired what was left of Polaroid and today we’re again a small group of people passionate about empowering creators to change the world in the name of Polaroid.
We are looking to hire a data engineer to join our IT team in our Amsterdam HQ. You will take responsibility for managing and further developing our master data set, helping with developing data models and reports and troubleshooting data issues. To do well in this role you need a track record as a data engineer, a good understanding of business processes and a deep knowledge of the popular data analysis tools and databases. Part of your role will also be to help with growing, shaping and leading the data team at Polaroid.
You will work closely together with members of the IT- and Product teams as well as with other stakeholders and data-owners across the organization and you will report directly to the Head of IT. While our current activities around data mainly focus on Sales, Marketing and Finance, we also plan to extend these efforts into other fields of business.
You will work in the highly dynamic environment of a rapidly growing business. The flat hierarchies and open culture at Polaroid will allow for direct impact of your efforts as well as creation of immediate value.
- Managing the reporting environment, with focus on ETL, data pipelines and data warehouse.
- Providing technical expertise in data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
- Building, using and maintaining automated tools to extract data from primary and secondary sources.
- Ownership of initiatives for data integrity and normalization.
- Provide quality assurance of imported data.
- Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Support assessing tests and implementing new or upgraded software and assisting with strategic decisions on new systems around the reporting environment.
- Troubleshooting the reporting database environment and support with troubleshooting of reports.
- Maintaining documentation and training data-consumers on data-sets.
- Helping our data analysts make the best possible reports and analyses by creating a super solid data foundation.
- Being an ambassador for further development towards a data-driven culture.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in computer science or a related field.
- At least 3-year work experience as a data engineer or in a related field.
- Technical proficiency with database design development, data models, techniques for data mining, and segmentation.
- Ability to handle, analyze and visualize complex, high-volume, high-dimensional data from varying sources.
- Experience of ETL in an industrial environment.
- Experience with data visualization software like Tableau, or PowerBI (preferred)
- Ability to work with business stakeholders to assess opportunities and potential risks.
- Ability to analyze existing tools and databases and provide software solution recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience in handling large data sets and relational databases.
- Experience in working with at (least) one cloud environment (Azure (preferred), GCP, AWS).
- Excellent software engineering skills in Python and experience with software testing and CI/CD standards.
- Ability to communicate design of data pipelines with Data Architects and Data Scientists.
The ideal candidate
- Data Fanatic:You thrive with business and financial analytics as much as with media and consumers insights. Whether it’s tracking forecasts, helping build product recommendation engines, or optimizing a performance campaign, you’re excited by any data-centric projects.
- Highly Collaborative: You successfully collaborate with many stakeholders to ensure that targets are reached. You raise red flags with detailed analysis to support strategic decisions. You propose a clear methodology and matching KPIs to support any POCs, and ensure clear follow-up communication. You are someone whom your colleagues genuinely enjoy working with.
- Detail-obsessed:You pay great attention to the small things and always strive towards excellency. If something doesn’t seem to add-up, you deep-dive until you gain an understanding, and are able to resolve the issue or spot an opportunity.
- Entrepreneurial Ambition:You’d love to start a company one day or to undertake a project that is important and potentially near-impossible. A lack of formal structure excites you. You want to roll up your sleeves in an exceedingly small, scaling team. You’re willing to propose projects and make change yourself.
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Amsterdam HQ (Houthavens). You will be reporting directly to the Head of IT and working closely across the whole team.
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV with any other relevant information to our recruitment team (email@example.com) or apply via LinkedIn.